THINKING OF HIRING A CONTRACTOR??
Here’s how to pick a good remodeler:
BEFORE YOU CONSIDER HIRING A CONTRACTOR, ASK THESE QUESTIONS:
Have you been operating as a remodeler successfully in this area of town for at least 10 years?
- Lots of remodeling companies come and go. I have been in business 41 years… serving 29 consecutive years in southwest Houston.
Are you trained and certified by the EPA to conduct lead paint testing and to do “lead-safe” practices on pre-1978 homes?
- As of April 22, 2010, this is required by federal law for ALL remodeling contractors – nationwide.
- If you ask this and the remodeler doesn’t know about or fails to have this information, it is a major red flag. Pass him or her by.
- My EPA Certified Remodeler Certificate number is: R-1-18351-09-00120
Do you carry General Liability Insurance coverage of at least $1,000,000.00?
- Ask to have his/her insurance company send the certificates directly to your home or office, showing your name as the covered “Loss Payee”.
How long have you been an accredited business with BBB?
- Go to the BBB website and see for yourself. See www.BBBhou.org
Look in the business white pages; does his company have business phone number?
- If not, he’s working out of the back of his truck, and may not be there to honor any warranty issues.
Do you have a website? Do you do business by e-mail?
- All professional companies have information about their companies on the internet in the form of a website, and also have the ability to answer questions and correspond with you by e-mail. Our website address is www.legaleaglecontractors.com; Dan’s e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you an active member in a local professional trade association, either the local Builder’s Association Remodelers Council (281-970-8970 ext. 111) or N.A.R.I?
- All professional contractors participate in these, and we subscribe to their strict ethical standards. Legal Eagle has been a member of both for over 21 years. In fact, Dan has twice served as President of the Remodelers Council and Is the only remodeler to ever serve as PRESIDENT of the Greater Houston Builders Association.
Have you done this type of project before? In this part of town?
- If most of his work has been done in some other part of town, chances are your job will receive lower priority and experience delays. We limit our jobs to the southwest quadrant of town. We also live there, and serve our neighbors.
Have you won any recent local and national awards for service, quality, leadership and value in the remodeling industry?
- Our brochure details just some of our credentials and accolades, including winning a state-wide award for “Texas Remodeler of the Year” … More than any other contractor in history – FOUR times!
- Voted Houston Remodeler of the Year (twice), by vote of his peers in the Greater Houston Builder’s Association.
- Voted one of “America’s Top 50 Remodelers”, by Remodeling Magazine.
- Won the BBB “Award of Excellence” five (7) times, most recently in May of 2015.
Do you offer written warranty on your work?
- Legal Eagle offers a full ONE YEAR written warranty, labor and materials, on all our projects, and a 10-Year warranty on structural slabs and structural work. Ask for a copy of his warranty before signing the contract.
- Legal Eagle will continue to be there to honor those warranties, too.
- Are you a Certified Remodeler? Certified Graduate Remodeler, or a Graduate Master Builder? If the contractor on the phone with you does not know what these are, pass him or her by!
- We have no contractor licensing in Texas, so this is the only way to assure you are dealing with a reputable professional.
- These are nationally recognized marks of distinction of remodeling excellence and expertise. Dan Bawden not only has earned his CGR, GMB CGP (Certified Green Building Professional) and CAPS status, he teaches the courses to other builders and remodelers aspiring to achieve these much sought after certifications.
- Dan is also a Graduate Master Builder – having earned the highest construction degree available in the nation.
Are you willing to provide me with a company profile listing your bank officer and trade references?
- If the contractor doesn’t measure up, pass him by. As professional and reputable contractors, we are happy to provide you with such information!
© February 2000, by Dan Bawden
Revised January 5, 2017
For more information call Dan at Legal Eagle Contractors, Co. 713-723-8850
Or stop by and tour his Idea Center in Bellaire at 5008 Locust @ S. Rice